Prevention is the best treatment!
Keep your feet clean and dry. Here’s how:
- Wash feet with soap and water daily.
- Change socks daily or twice a day if feet sweat a lot.
- Wear socks that absorb moisture. Cotton is best; avoid wearing synthetic materials for extended periods.
- Dry feet thoroughly after a bath or shower; use a hair dryer if necessary.
- Sprinkle talcum powder to absorb moisture.
- Wash socks and towels in hot water.
- Let feet “breathe.” Wear open shoes or sandals when possible.
- Don’t go barefoot in public showers or near swimming pools or hot tubs.
Excessive peeling of the skin
Swelling, redness and/or oozing (may indicate a bacterial infection)
Continued symptoms after using non-prescription medications
Infection of toenails.